WHAT IS SCHIZOCHYTRIUM SP.?
Schizochytrium sp. is a type of marine microalgae with the natural capacity to produce DHA. An oil extremely rich in DHA omega-3 fatty acids can be obtained by extracting the lipids from these algae and refining them.
THE BENEFITS OF SCHIZOCHYTRIUM SP.
With its richness in DHA omega-3 fatty acids , Schizochytrium sp. provides for an entirely plant-based intake of DHA that can be consumed even by vegetarians and vegans. Among its many benefits are the following:
- Omega-6/omega-3 balance: Our modern-day diets often include far too much omega-6 and not enough omega-3 – and Schizochytrium sp. helps bring this back into balance.
- Healthy cells: By promoting membrane fluidity, DHA helps improve communication between our body’s cells.
- Beneficial effects on the brain: Almost all of the brain’s omega-3 is in the form of DHA. A proper intake of DHA thus helps insure that the brain continues to function optimally, and also slows down aging-related cognitive decline.
Among the further advantages associated with DHA are its beneficial effects on the retina, as well as its contributions to good cardiovascular health.
WHO SHOULD TAKE SCHIZOCHYTRIUM SP.?
The DHA from Schizochytrium sp. can be consumed by anyone, including vegetarians and vegans.
It is particularly recommended for:
- anyone with a sub-optimal diet
- anyone who consumes little to no fatty fish
- anyone who consumes processed foods
- active people and athletes
THE COMPOSITION OF SCHIZOCHYTRIUM SP.
Schizochytrium sp. owes its beneficial effects to its richness in DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) omega-3 fatty acids.
DHA is a fatty acid that must be taken in via our diet, and is found mainly in fatty fish. Schizochytrium sp. can produce up to 40% of DHA, accounting for its total production of fatty acids.
ALGORIGIN SCHIZOCHYTRIUM SP.
Selected by the Algorigin team
The DHA offered by Algorigin® is extracted from Schizochytrium sp. algae grown in England and refined on the coast of Brittany, France. With more than 20 years of expertise in marine-sourced lipids, our partner boasts a “Friend of the Sea”® certification that guarantees our products’ traceability. They are also an important player in the field of researching environmentally respectful processing methods for omega fatty acids. Their renowned know-how led to the birth of the “Qualitysilver” technology that ensures protection against oxidation – and unmatched stability in the available products.
Algorigin® has chosen to partner with this supplier in order to offer you a high-quality, stable, GMO-free, 100% plant-based product that also reflects our own vision for sustainable development.
 Ashford A. & al. : Electron microscopy may reveal structure of docosahexaenoic acid-rich oil within Schizochytrium sp. Lipids. 2000 Dec;35(12):1377-86.